History and early beginnings Baybay was believed to be the only settlement on the western coast of Leyte known to the ﬁrst Spanish conquistadores that came with Magellan, as was Abuyog in the eastern part of the province and Limasawa and Cabalian in the south. In 1620, the Jesuit fathers formally founded the town after building a church and a mission house which belonged to the “residencia” of Carigara, the ﬁrst and central station of the Society of Jesuits in Leyte.
By superior approbation, Baybay was created a parish on September 8, 1835 with the invocation of Our Lady on the Immaculate Conception. However, the town was erected an independent parish on February 27, 1836.When the Augustinians took over the administration of the parish after the explosion of the Jesuits, they opened the ﬁrst school in Baybay. During their time, the ﬁrst road leading to Palompon was constructed, thus bringing Baybay closer to her neighboring municipalities. The Augustinian fathers stayed in the town for 75 years – all of which they devoted to uplifting the natives in education and in their economic standing.